June 30, 2013

Author Interview with Tom Abrahams

Hi Tom, first of all, could you tell us a bit about yourself?
By day, I'm a television anchor and reporter. I've been in the business for 20 years and love it. It's taken me all over the world and given me a front row seat to history. I cover a lot of issues oriented stories, including the environment, energy, education, the economy...a lot of politics. When I am not at work, I am home with my awesome wife and two great kids. They're very supportive of my work.  And they've been great at helping me carve out time to write.
What do you think makes your genre special?
Political thrillers have the unique ability to tap into what's going on RIGHT NOW in our world and expand upon it. As an author, I can ask, "What if this really happened?" as an extension of current events. People tend to be passionate about their religion and their politics. So getting to share in that passion and drive a discussion is really gratifying.  
What do you think makes a great story?
Great, flawed characters, a enjoyable plot, and good writing. Without any one of those three, a story is sunk.
What is your latest book called and could you explain to us in 20 words what it is about?
SEDITION is a mordern day political thriller fraught with conspiracy, espionage, murder, explosives, and digital art. 
Which kind of reader do you think will enjoy your book?
A reader who reads between the lines will like SEDITION. It's a smart thriller that challenges the reader to think about patriotism and freedom. It's a thriller that, at times, reads like a historical novel, while at the same time maintaining a quick, page-turning pace.
Is it a Standalone, or part of the series? If it the latter, how long do you think will it go on?
Right now it is stand alone. But there may be a book down the line that serves as a prequel.  A lot of people love the antagonist, Sir Spencer. I may build a story about him, his motivations, his past.
What influenced or inspired you writing it?
The cable television series, The Tudors. My wife and I watched the show. We were curious about how true to history the producers kept the storylines. In researching it, I came across an 1820 British plot called The Cato Street Conspiracy. I was fascinated by it, saw the parallels to modern day, and reworked the premise into SEDITION.
Why did you choose especially this title? Was it your first choice?
My first choice was The Cato Street Conspiracy. But I decided that lacked any sense of creativity. I played around with some other titles, but SEDITION captures the theme so perfectly. It's more sinister-sounding than "Treason" or "Terrorists" or anything like that.  
What was the hardest part for you working on your book?
Finding the time to write. I really have to be organized to fit it in. Sometimes I am much more successful than others. I wish I were more diligent about touching a page every day. I'd have written three books by now...
Was there a scene that you didn’t want to add or remove in your finished work?
The first draft was 105,000 words. The published book is under 91,000.  So I edited out A LOT.  I really would have liked to keep some the historical, research driven parts of the narrative. But they slowed the pace and dragged down the story. It was the right thing to do.  
Do you already know what to do next?
I am working on a manuscript tentatively titled "SECESSION". It takes place in Texas and is another political thriller. It follows a young political operative who finds himself unwittingly caught up in a conspiracy involving oil, nanotechnology, and secession. I'm a third of the way through and I hope to have it on the shelf next fall/winter.
Where can we find more about you and your books?
Please check out the website for the book.  It's http://seditionbook.com  There you can find links to buy it.  You can also learn more about The Cato Street Conspiracy. You can see the artwork referenced in the book and read about the real news events that influenced the plot. There are also downloadable and printable documents used in the story. And if you want your e-book "autographed" there's a link for that too.  It's available worldwide. 
Any last words?
Thanks very much for the opportunity to talk about my writing and SEDITION. 
Sedition
The President of The United States is dead. There is no Vice President to take his place.
As the nation slips into a constitutional crisis, a small group of disenfranchised neo-patriots conspire to violently seize power.
They have the will. They already have someone on the inside. And they have the explosives.
Standing in their way is a woman who listens to conversations not meant for her to hear. She reads mail not intended for her to see. She knows their intention. But can she stop them in time?

2 Kommentare:

  1. You can tell the authors that aren't just making stuff up. The best fiction is thoroughly ground in fact. Thanks for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,

      justed wanted to thank you for your post. Yours is the 100th comment on my blog. :)

      Delete